Friday, 23 October 2009

An Introduction....

Thought for Today

I thought it was appropriate to start with a link to the Thought for Today, as it is about the Lotus flower, which is where my logo design started...

(UPDATE: As suspected but not confirmed until today, this link changes daily - duh!! Enjoy anyway!)

Original Thought For Today for your delectation:

The lotus is a symbol of purity. Its roots are in the mud, but the flower remains above dirty water. Live a lotus life. Be in the world, but unaffected by impurities.

Anyway, here goes... well hello there World! How you doing?!

Those of you (my imagined audience) that know me, will be somewhat surprised and astonished by the fact that I have started a Blog.  Yes I know it's the 'thing to do' and I'm about a million years behind everyone else - but well the thing is, you see, that I am officially renowned as being a 'technophobe'.

That being said, I have slowly emerged from my 'actual' Shiatsu Zone, looked blinkingly around me at the Bigger World, and realised that it's time to get 'out there'. Yes indeedy. In the last few weeks, I have been on a self-taught crash course thanks mainly to @nunoid (my darling sis), I've joined Twitter (Shiatsu4Life), and here I am with my very own virtual Shiatsu Zone. Much as I would like to stay firmly entrenched in the belief that The Universe will provide me with all the clients I'll ever need, I've realised I may have to help it along the way - and also raise my head above the parapet and look at the 'bigger picture' - oh and participate in the amazing world of online discussions - it's good to talk!

Now as you may have gathered, I am a bit of a long winded writer and if that's not your bag, I apologise...but I just can't help it - I write as I think! As those who SMS me know, I am also a big fan of exclamation marks and this is unlikely to change - I like to think it represents my general enthusiam for life!

Anyway, I promise you that somewhere amongst the whitterings and exclamation marks, I fully intend to provide useful and interesting information about all things Shiatsu related. I cannot guarantee that I won't stray off the track sometimes - but hey, I'm only human!! The things I write on here will represent my take on Shiatsu and suchlike - they do not have be taken as ''gospel', and I am extremely open to other viewpoints and constructive criticism.

Having thought long and hard about my 'Blog' style, I have taken inspiration from the people whose Blogs I admire most: Tracey, Gina, Rob and Havi.They all have informative and friendly sites and they've all remained true (I would imagine) to their characters. I've learnt from Havi that it is possible to be your quirky self and be professional all at the same time. She also taught me that it is important to be truely representative of yourself  because at the end of the day, the people that come to me for Shiatsu (ooh there it is, I mentioned Shiatsu at last!) come to me because of who I am, as well as what I can offer them in treatments. I am their 'right person' and they are mine!

Anyway I digress... finally I would just like to say I'll try to update this regularly as long as my head keeps coming up with ideas (it's brimming right now, so that's good!) and also that this is a work in progress and I'm learning as I go, so bear with me! I might even do the About Me section tomorrrow!!

Any comments, suggestions or feedback most welcome!


7 comments:

  1. A great post Helen, it made me chuckle ( for the right reasons - love the humour) & reminded me that it is important to stay true to ourselves as individuals and practitioners.

    I'll definely be coming back for more and will be looking at some of the blogs you've highlighted that I've not visited before.

    Yours in Shiatsu

    Trace x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Helen,

    A great start, it's so nice to have some more shiatsu bloggingness out here in the interwebbly. Well done keep it up! I have a post in the pipe line but it's slow emerging. Thanks for the mention, I feel proud!
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaaw, what a lovely first post! And welcome to coming out of technophobosity ;-)

    Ms M Pachel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a thanking-a you lovely people!! The fact that you took the time to read this AND to comment has left me with a warm fuzzy feeling.

    Trace - don't worry, you are the master(mistress) of staying true to yourself.

    Rob - am loving that you feel proud - you should do - you have a great site (and top marks for the word interwebbly!!)

    and Ms Pachel - thanks lovely! I am also liking your word technophobosity and I shall wear it's mantle with pride!

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Yay! Welcome to the virtual world, which I'm guesing you may find quite addicting and gratifying.

    Can't wait to read what you have to say about shiatsu and those that seem related, if only your own head... LOL

    And thanks for the props! I, too, have been inspired by Havi, and gave myself permission to write in my own voice rather than sounding so 'professional'. Found it was reaching more people and was a heck of a lot more fun to write.

    I think we can start to be a force for taking some of the dryness and mystery out of shiatsu blogging, making it more accessible for folks. Yay again!

    And I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the support Gina, gratifying most definitely - addictive... quite possibly!!

    The only way to be true to ourselves and to shouting out about the wonders of Shiatsu is to write in our own voices, and write it proud!

    Shiatsu is all about change and movement - we're just going with the tide (yes I am a hippy at heart!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, have another fuzz. Don't say you weren't warned...

    zxxx

    ReplyDelete